Saturday, August 11, 2007

Leadville 100

I haven't been on the bike in a while, no reason except sloth, but today I've been reading coverage of the Leadville 100. It's providing a little motivation to get back in the saddle. The Leadville 100 is a mountain bike race of 100 miles- 50 miles out and 50 miles back. It's also known as the 'race across the sky'. The halfway point is the top of a mountain, about 12,000ft above sea level. Floyd Landis rode it this year and finished second - at a record time of 7 hours and 30 seconds - not bad for a guy whose hip was replaced less than a year ago. If he can do that, shouldn't I be able to get my ass out there and pedal a few miles around the block? I also read somewhere that he said "you can always do 1 more" (paraphrasing there) - even more inspiration, right. So, as the late Freddie Mercury sang, get on your bikes and ride......

Of course, it's much more entertaining to *watch* boys in spandex.


Oh, golfing returns Tuesday with the annual Foundation scramble. I just hope the beavers leave our balls alone this time.

No comments: